Scattered throughout the many villages in Pelion are a wide
selection of beautiful churches and monasteries that are well
worth visiting, where you can see many beautiful religious icons
and works of art.
Probably the most famous church in Pelion is the church
of "Agia Marina" in the village of Kissos. This
church is beautifully decorated with wooden frescoes and is
one church that you must pay a visit to when in Pelion. For
more information about the church of "Agia Marina",
please pay a visit to the official
site of the church.
Church of Agios Vlasios - contains many beautiful and impressive
icons. The church was built in 1820, by the skilled builder
Dimos Zapaniotis, who was from Hepiros.
Agios Georgios Nilias
Monastery of Panmegiston-Taxiarhon. Built in 1309, it now
operates as a monastery for women. As well the monastery of
Agia Triada and the churches of Kimiseos tis Theotokou ( 1744
), Agios Georgios and Agios Athanasios ( 1795 ).
Many churches in this village, such as Agios Dimitrios, Agios
Ioannis Theologos, Agios Georgios and the Metamorphosis of
Sotira and the small chapel of Panagitsa, which was built
on the ruins of an ancient temple.
Country chapels of Ai-Yiorgi, Ai-Yiannaki and the monastery
Byzantine monastery of Agios Lavrentios. This monastery was
built in 1378 by the monk Lavrentios, who came to this area
from the monastery of Athos in Meteora. The basilica church
of Agios Athanasios ( 1777 ), the church of Agios Apostolos
o Neos, which was built in a cross shape ( 1800 ) and the
metropolis church of Agios Dimitrios ( 1730 ).
Chapel of Panagia Tripia, which is built into a rock by the
sea. Also there is the chapel of Timiou Stavrou (Holy Cross),
which houses a beautiful wooden carved icon.
Byzantine church "Monument of Kimiseos of Theotkou".
Houses beautiful frescoes dated from the 18th century.
18th century church of Agios Athanasios. The wooden icons
in this church are well worth a look at. Also visit the chapel
of Ag.Triada, which has many impressive icons and frescoes.
The church of Agii Apostoli. The belfry of this church is
amazing, and stands at 45 meters in height. It was made by
local workmen in 1914 from marble.
Church of Ai-Yiannis, which was built by the builder Dimos
Zapaniotis from Herpirus.
Chapel of Agios Nicolaos, with beautiful painted frescoes
by Ioannis Pagonis.
Church of Agios Ioannis. This church is full of beautiful
frescoes, which were done by the famous painter, Ioannis Pagonis.
The chapel of Timios Stavros ( 1802), Panagitsas, and Panagia
sta ampelia ( 1778), the church of Agios Nikolaos, Agios Georgios
( 1796) and the monastery of Agii Taxiarhes ( 1755).
Church of Agios Georgios, which was built in 1747.
Church of Agia Marina. See top of the page for more details
and a link to the official site of the church. The churches
of Agios Konstantinos, Agios Efstathios ( 17 century) as well
many small chapels.
Monastery of "Panagias Tis Labithonas", which was
built in 1800.
Monastery of Agios Athanasios. This monastery is extremely
beautiful to visit and has many interesting icons and relects
inside. To visit it, you must ask for information at the town
hall. The church of Genesis tis Theotokou ( 1888- 1901).
Church of Agios Ioannis. Here you can see the frescoes that
date from 1910, which were painted by the artist Theofilos.
A well the churches of Agios Athanasios, Agios Georgios, Ai
Giannis Prodromos( 1910 ) .
There are a few churches in this village that are well worth
a visit. They include the church of Agios Ioannis Prothromos,
Proifiti Hilia, Agii Arargiri and Agios Konstantinos.
Church of Zoothohou Pigis (meaning Life Giving Stream). Inside
are old icons dating from 1830.
Church of Pamegiston Taxiarhon, which was built in 1741, in
the village square. From here started the revolution against
the Turks in May 1821, under the leadership of Anthimos Gazis.
Monastery of Agii Sarada, on the nearby island of Alatas,
and the monastery of Zoothohou Pigis on the small island of
Church of Agios Dimitrios, dating from 1760, and home to many
beautifully sculptured wooden icons, and frescoes painted
by Ioannis Pagonis, Panagia tis Lais and the chapel of Panagia
tis Plakas ( 1655), protector of the mines.
Monastery of Agios Athanasios, which was built in 1776 by
the "Stergios Basdekis".
Chapel of Panagias Tis Portareas, which houses many painted
icons and frescoes, and is located right next to the church
of Agios Nicolaos. The monasteries of Profitis Prodromos and
Panagia I odigitria.
Agios Dimitrios Byzantine basilica ( 1743 ).
Chapel that is dedicated to the "Mother of God Mary",
and which dates from1765.
Stone church of Agios Georgios, which was built in 1892. There
is also the church of Agia Paraskevi.
The monastery of Timiou Prothromou, which was originally built
in 1795, but was destroyed by the Turks. It was rebuilt in
1840, and today is operating as a monastery for women. The
church of Agios Georgios in the villages square, with
old Christian relics and wooden crafted ikonostasi.
Churches of Agios Athanasios, dating from 1798, Agia Triada,
with beautiful wooden icons, and the despotic throne of Napolean
that is dated from 1739, Agios Athanasios ( 1798), and Agii
Anargiri ( 1780).
Trikeri Palio ( Trikeri Island )
Church of Agios Yiannis, dating from 1786 and the monastery
of Panagia I Faneromeni.
The chapel of Panagias of Megalomatas, and the secret school,
which is actually built inside a cave. The church of Agia
Paraskevi( 1719), Agii Taxiarxes ( 1786), Agia Kiriaki ( 1746),
Agii Apostoli ( 1760), Agii Anargiri ( 1786), and Agios Stefanos
Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prothromos, which was built in
1789, and the church of Zoothohou Pigis (Life Giving Stream),
built in 1725.
Church of Kimisis Tis Theotokou, which dates from 1450. Inside
there are beautiful golden sculptures and painted frescoes.
Many churches worth visiting, such as the churches of Agia
Paraskevi (1803), Agios Georgios - St.George (1765), and Agia
Kiriaki (1740). All are decorated with beautiful golden icons.
The monastery Panagia Rasova which dates from the 13th century
and the very old chapels of Profitis Ilias, Agios Dimitrios
and Agios Athanasios, all dated from the 17th century.